Pastor’s Letter for the October 2, 2016 bulletin
Next weekend many member churches of the Guernsey Association of Churches, together with other social outreach and law enforcement agencies, plan to observe Friday, October 7th – Sunday, October 9th as a “drug-free weekend.” In the churches, for example, because many use the same lectionary cycle of Sunday readings, the sermons and homilies will draw upon the scene from the Gospel of Luke when Jesus healed the ten lepers (see this week’s Readings Notes). Other agencies are planning a variety of activities, including workshops and speakers. May the Lord continue to bless so many in our parish who are involved in various aspects of responding to today’s drug abuse problems both throughout Ohio and in our own county!
Please note that the Catholicism series of 10 episodes will, in fact, continue for each Monday of October at 6:30 p.m. through mid-November. Even if you have not attended any of these before, each of the episodes is independent of the other and so you can simply attend whenever you can or want to. Because of the good attendance we’ve been meeting in the Sts. Peter & Paul Social Hall instead of the Rectory. Each episode is about an hour and with a break halfway for some discussion and refreshments, the whole gathering is about an hour-and-a-half.
Featured and suggested content at the formed.org site for the month of October includes resources with a “respect for life theme” and the following (note that our parish code for establishing a free personal account is QARQ3C):
• October 1 - St. Thérése of the Child Jesus, Virgin and Doctor of the Church, Program: Catholicism, Episode 8, A Vast Company of Witnesses
• October 2 - Guardian Angels, Book: Angels and Demons, What Do We Know about Them?
• October 4 - St. Francis of Assisi, Movie: Clare and Francis
• October 5 - St. Faustina, Program: Divine Mercy in the Second Greatest Story Ever Told
• October 7 - Our Lady of the Rosary, Audio: Praying the Rosary Like Never Before
• October 9 - Pius XII, Movie: Pius XII, Under the Roman Sky
• October 13 - Fatima, Miracle of the Sun, Movie: The 13th Day
• October 15 - St. Teresa of Jesus, Virgin and Doctor of the Church, Book: Deep Conversation, Deep Prayer
• October 18 - St. Luke, Evangelist, Program: Lectio: Evangelization
• October 22 - St. Pope John Paul II, Audio: The Second Greatest Story Ever Told
• October 28 - Sts. Simon and Jude, Apostles, Audio: Walk the Walk
May the Lord help us all to journey together ever more joyfully, always ready for the gift of eternal life!